Hershey's Milk Chocolate bar wrappers, 1950-1976
After World War II ended Hershey Chocolate Corporation continued to use white glassine paper as the inner wrapper for its milk chocolate bars as a cost savings measure.
The price for raw cocoa beans fluctuated dramatically during the 1950s. Hershey Chocolate Corporation was committed to maintaining a five cent ($.05) price for its candy bars. To respond to the dramatically changing prices for the raw ingredients, Hershey changed the weight of its candy bars, decreasing bar weight when cocoa bean prices soared and increasing the weight when bean prices declined.
As another cost saving measure, Hershey discontinued embossing the silver printing on its labels in 1950.
Hershey Chocolate Corporation became Hershey Foods Corporation in 1968. The chocolate division was named "Hershey Chocolate and Confectionery Division."
Hershey Chocolate discontinued its five cent ($.05) bar on November 24, 1969. Hershey's ten cent ($.10) bar (weighing more than twice as much as the old five cent bar) became the standard bar.
On December 12, 1973, Hershey Foods Corporation added nutritional labeling on all its candy bars, a first in the confectionery industry.
In 1976, Hershey began printing UPC codes on its packaging.