Meeting the needs of Hershey's tourists
Needing more space, the Hershey Department Store, moved across the street to the recently vacated Hershey Press Building in 1920. The Hershey Inn's first floor was used in a variety of ways: classrooms for Hershey's growing student population, a photography studio, meeting space for community organizations and even a weekly farmers' market.
As Hershey grew as a tourist destination, guest accommodations were needed. Hershey Inn was renovated to meet this need. The first floor was redesigned to include a new foyer, registration desk, newsstand, a restaurant and cafeteria. The new Hershey Inn opened in June 1926.
On the corner of Chocolate and Cocoa Avenues, Hershey Inn was in a perfect location to serve as tourist lodging. Its success led to the building being enlarged in 1936. Two stories were added, the building was faced in red brick and renamed the Community Inn.
The building was remodeled again in 1958, and all the rooms were updated with new interior decorations and the addition of television sets.